The truth is … you get a lot more when you hire a real copywriter. I’m not talking about the rent-a-writers on Craigslist who charge as little as $30 an hour. But when you hire a professional you get a whole business makeover system.
(1) Get help with decisions on whether to go with 1 website or many. This decision seems fairly straightforward but I’ve seen business owners paralyzed or stuck with websites that baffle their visitors (and sometimes their creators).
You may be better off with several sites or you may create an umbrella website that spins a story across multiple products and services. That’s a decision based on the way you present your message – and that’s something a copywriter can help with.
(2) Design your website navigation. The simple question is, “What should be on the top and side menu bars?” But the deeper question is, “How do you want your audience to move through the site?”
The sequence of pages, and the content of each page, will implement your message. For instance, you may want visitors to read an About Page or a Results Page before they visit your Services Page. And the easier the navigation, the more likely your visitors will stick around long enough to learn about you and make a purchase.
(3) Tell your best stories. Storytelling has been called the most critical marketing skill for the 21st century.
Your copywriter will help you build a story portfolio, identify the stories that will be most effective in your marketing, and avoid stories that backfire because they’re wrong for your audience or even contradict your message.
(4) Build your lead generation system so you get more prospects on your list. Lead generation is the most critical function of your website and it starts with your giveaway. The way you design your landing page and choose your lead magnet will influence your success – often dramatically.
(5) Write the script for your promotional video. You’ve decided to create a video – good! – but what can you say if you want to make the most impact? Whether you’re using Powerpoints or presenting yourself as a talking head, you need a script.
Video scripts need to be short and compelling – usually 90 seconds for a home page. Short scripts take a LOT more work than longer, rambling ones.
(6) Motivate visitors to take action. Your Services Page helps you land clients, yet all too many businesses treat this page as a classified ad.
When prospects are looking at services they’re down to the wire. You need to explain the benefits so your clients appreciate your value and you get to command higher fees.
(7) Get designs and graphics that reinforce your message. Web designers speak their own language – HTML, CSS, and Photoshop. When you don’t communicate with them, you can end up with lovely designs that actually contradict your message.
I help clients get realistic quotes from designers to meet their exact specifications. And when you create your copy BEFORE you hire a designer, you’ll be more likely to get higher-quality design. Adding copy after the design can actually “break” the design, add more design time and delay completion of your website or sales letter.
(8) Find your most profitable niche. When you write the copy for your website, you often discover your niche and value proposition very quickly. In fact, some marketing coaches advise their clients to work with me when they’re stuck on moving forward. Your copywriter’s techniques help you recognize whether your niche is worth pursuing and then create a campaign to reach that market.
(9) Clarify your value proposition. What makes you special? How can you be the go-to person and command fees commensurate with your value?
A common response from my clients is, “Wow — I didn’t know I looked this good!”
(10) Develop your first (or next) information product or training program. Experienced marketers know best way to begin your info product – including your Signature System – is to write the sales page before you begin creating your product. You’ll make changes along the way, of course, but you’ll end up with a product that’s marketable – and you won’t waste time creating a product or service that nobody wants. I did a training on this and you can listen to the replay when you click here.
By the way, many business owners make mistakes when they hire a copywriter. I’ve written this report to help you avoid the 7 Biggest Mistakes Most Businesses Make When They Hire A Copywriter. Send me the report!
If you’d like to work with me we can start with a Marketing Strategy Session.