— A well known guest will draw traffic when you add his or her name to your landing page announcing the call. Blog posts with the guest’s name will be even more effective, as search engines pick them up. Tweets and Facebook posts will get attention from your guest’s own followers.
— Your interview adds value to your own list and your own followers will forward your messages about the call, especially if you have an unusual or interesting topic.
— When your guest is new to your audience, you’ll get kudos for introducing a new resource. Audiences like to listen to someone they’ve never heard before.
So … how do you make this happen?
(1) Get clear on the purpose of holding the teleseminar. Do you want to grow your list? Gain credibility? Make a recording you can repurpose later?
(2) Choose a guest whose topic will be a strong fit for your business strategy and your niche. For example, some business coaches find that their audiences are not interested in talks about spirituality or time management. A financial planner might interview a real estate agent, but a nutritionist would probably be a stretch.
(3) Make sure you and your guest are on the same page, as we tend to live in a shifting business world. For instance, I once invited a teleseminar guest based on a talk I’d heard her give a month earlier. She had moved on to a new direction in her business and didn’t want to revisit that topic. I had to decide if I wanted to invite her to talk about her current business … or if I needed to admit that we didn’t have a good match.
(4) Clear the Q&A format and content ahead of time. A well-prepared guest will have an interview kit all ready to go with suggested questions, a bio and promotional support. As the host, you have to decide whether you will work with the guest’s questions … or whether you want to ask your own to fit the audience’s needs. You need to clarify when you will take questions.
(5) Set up the logistics before the call.
– Who will create the landing page? (Typically the host – but some guests want to make their own.)
– What kind of platform will you use? Will you record the call (a standard requirement these days).
Teleseminar interviews offer a great opportunity to get exposure for yourself and gain credibility. What tips do you have for teleseminar guesting and hosting?